Monday, September 27, 2010

This Week Has Been Brought To You By Sukkos


I love Sukkos, though I do wish it lasted a bit longer. I have my coffee and then start making batches of buttermilk pancakes. It's the one time we really have to breakfast together. It's nice. There's no rush to get out to go to school or work.

Sometimes we play Stephane Grappelli on the stereo as a breakfast accompaniment. The kids think there is something magical about records--that there's some kind of singular sound you get with record albums that you can't get on a CD or with an MP3.


After breakfast, I go on Facebook and play Pathwords until my hand turns numb and then switch off and play some Bejeweled Blitz. Silly, mindless fun.

After awhile, I tear myself away from the computer and make lunch. Something fleishig, which is unusual for us. But on Chol HaMoed, we try to have fleishigs everyday. Today it was a humongous pot of spaghetti and meat sauce.

When lunch is cleared away, Dov and I take a nap without any need to set a time limit. It's unbelievable: no time constraints, no work commitments. Wow. This is the life.

The rest of the evening is time with the kids and husband and wife time. Dov took the kids out to toss a few balls while I cleaned up the kitchen. Later we have an invite to our friend Alex's sukkah. His birthday is on Sukkos, so every year, the same crowd gets together for a festive meal. Very laid back and much enjoyed by all. Great food, too.

There has been only one little thing nagging me at the back of my mind. Every time the thought comes, I banish it away and pretty much, it obeys. It's my new job. I start on Sunday.

Each time I take on a new job or task, there's this bit of fear: will I be able to cope? Will this be beyond my capabilities? How will my new job impact on my other responsibilities of home, children, and the musical I'm in that is set to premier on Oct. 24 and is in rehearsal almost every evening?

The angst is always for nothing. I somehow manage each time. And the truth is, it's getting easier to take on new projects because I see I can cope. Can it be I'm growing up??

2 comments:

  1. You are going to do a great job at your new employer...just listen to Stephane Grappelli as you write. as usual, the pancakes were AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the pancakes, this pretty much sums up our sukkos too! although we haven't many kids around at present (and of course compared to you guys - we never do...) it's so amazing to actually be at home! Since I work in Jerusalem every day, my idea of a great time is NOT running around to every event planned for the chag, but staying home and chilling out! Sometimes I'm embarrassed that we don't "do" anything major - glad to know it isn't a requirement!

    ReplyDelete